Thursday, September 11, 2008

Have you ever heard of Organic Clothes?



Well I haven't heard of organic clothes, until now! I recently purchased a few t-shirts from a company called Under the Canopy which uses organic cottons. I figured I would try out the clothes, since they were really cute! I particuarly like this shirt shown above! A portion of the price paid goes towards the rain forest. When I purchased a couple of shirts I thought to myself "Will the cotton feel different on my skin? Or am I just becoming more conscious about the environment by buying these clothes?" I think it is a little bit of both. The idea behind buying sustainable clothes is quite interesting because, let's face it, eventually I will either out grow my clothes, or donate them to a thrift store. But after that, I have no control over where my clothes end up. It would be nice to know that if my clothes were thrown away, they would decompose easily, and that at least, in this small way I am actually helping the world.

Now to answer the question about if the cotton feels different on my skin The best way I can describe it is like this: Do you have a t-shirt, underwear, socks, or shorts that you've had for years that has been washed and worn hundreds of times? Now it has that soft very thin feel to it? Well that is how the cotton feels! It's as if you've worn the shirt ten times and it's the first time you're actually wearing it! So in essence, I really like the organic cotton feel and everyone should go check out their website. They do sell clothes for men as well as women along with bedding!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, this is really cool. I think the only drawback I see is that these clothes are made all over the world, under who knows what kind of conditions. Which kinda takes away from their sustainability. So cool tho, I think I may even buy one

Try Something New Artzy Fartzy Everday said...

Hey I thought you would find this interesting...it was taken from their website:

"Which countries are sources for the fabric, yarn, and finished goods you sell?
Our products are made in the US and overseas. Our main factories are in India, Peru, and the USA; however, we have also produced our products in China, Hong Kong, Romania, Turkey, Israel, Canada, Portugal, and Thailand. We have solidified relationships with these contractors who share and/or accept our social and environmental standards."

So hopefully it is sustainable! I just wonder though how much fuel they use to transport the clothes from the other countries?